Hair Problems My Hair is coloured or treated
treatments for coloured hair
Millions of people colour their hair every year. It's a great way to update your look, freshen up your style and keep up-to-date with hair trends. People also commonly dye hair to hide those pesky grey strands! Coloured hair deserves special treatment to maintain the vibrancy and depth of the colour for as long as possible and to keep it nourished and in great condition. This will maximise the time between colour treatments and reduce the number of visits to your hairdresser.
A shampoo that's designed for colour treated hair will nourish it far better than a cheap shampoo that's designed for normal use. Cheap shampoos can be too harsh and strip the hair of colour which is exactly what's not needed! A coloured hair shampoo will maintain the intensity of the colour and condition of the hair. On the same note, a conditioner for coloured hair will leave it well cared for, helping the colour intensity and tones to last much longer.
Another important reason to use a coloured hair shampoo is that with blonde hair the tone is so important and shampoo's and conditioners can be found with cool or warm tones to keep your colour as you like it. The act of colouring hair professionally in a salon will usually leave the hair well conditioned. This is due to the conditioning treatments that are in the professional products that your hairdresser will use during the dyeing process. However it is true to say that if going from dark to blonde hair dye or bleaching can leave hair looking a little dry and dull. This damage can be off-set easily with the use of the correct products, styling care and conditioning treatments.
To care for coloured hair
- Use hair colour products that are specially formulated for coloured hair as these will not strip it of colour and will leave it moisturised and more vibrant.
- Use coloured hair conditioner to rehydrate it and leave it silky smooth. Condition every time you wash your hair.
- Be very gentle with how you treat your hair, do not brush it when it's wet as this can cause it to break. It is best to use a comb or better still the Tangle Teezer. Avoid using very hot styling tools which will damage the keratin and leave hair dry and damaged.
- A hair mask is a great product to keep moisture in the hair and to deeply treat it to prolong the life of the colour.
- Try to go a day or so between washes so your hair is not constantly being shampooed and stripped of colour, this is especially true for red head colours.